How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10777
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I have inherited a freehold flat from my late brother and the

Customer Question

I have inherited a freehold flat from my late brother and the name change of ownership was dealt with. Why are the managing agents requesting I deal with them seperately and not just check with the land registry? Their solicitor is charging £450 which is ludicrous. Can I do this myself and what paperwork is required?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hi there,


I take it that you have inherited a Flat, which is held under a Lease.


If so, whenever ownership changes, the Purchaser or new owner is under a duty to serve formal Notice of Transfer on the Managing Agents. The Lease will explain in full what is required- for example, there may be a Deed of Covenant that you may need to sign, which is basically a document confirming that you will pay the service charge/ the Agents may also need to deal with issuing you with a Share Certificate if you are to become a member of the Management Company or own a share in the Freehold.


I'm afraid all these different issues attracts fees- although all Managing Agents fees are astronomical, £450 is the usual fee if all of the above issues need to be dealt with.


I would be happy to clarify matters further if you could confirm what exactly the M Agents have asked be dealt with.


Kind Regards