How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ExperiencedLawyer Your Own Question
ExperiencedLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 311
Experience:  I have 14+ years of experience as a family lawyer, advising people on all kinds of relationship and family law issues.
Type Your Law Question Here...
ExperiencedLawyer is online now

I have an English county court judgement based on a verdict

Customer Question

I have an English county court judgement based on a verdict of dutch court (divorce) which isn't valid anymore since 2006, The CCJ is done on default in 2010. Can I sue in UK for unnessecesary legal cost etc. The English court has blindly taken over a verdict sent and made by an dutch incasso agency, without knowing the dutch law.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac and I will be able to help you.

What is the exact date of the county court judgment?

What action, if any, have you taken in the UK courts since then?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

CCJ dated april 2010. I have apart from seeking advice english lawyer no action taken in uk courts. I do think that going to court in the netherlands where the court verdict has been taken in march 2005 is more beneficial.

I'am same as my dutch lawyer very surprised that uk has taken over the verdict blindly without checking if it's justified or even lawful.


Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 4 years ago.
If the UK order was made on an incorrect premise, then it should have been appealed. It could possibly be appealed still, but you would first need to apply for permission to appeal out of time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The case is about not paying maintenance to ex wife. The ex wife applied for benefits, The council in Holland try to reclaim the benefits. They use an incasso agency. They are the one using an non usable court verdict from 2005, That verdict has stopped (in arrest ) in 2006.

1 the council has no court judgement to claim money

2 there is no verdict to use against me.

However UK has not looked into the case and made a CCJ for payment to not legal creditor in the netherlands.

My point is

1 the uk CCJ has no case against me so I will ignore it, and win my case in the netherlands so automatic case in uk will be dropped.

However I will try clain money from County court for possible harassment and seek legal advise in uk.

Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 4 years ago.
A CCJ is a judgment. If it has been made incorrectly, it would have been possible to appeal it. However, I do not know Dutch law, so your current option may be the better strategy. I wish you the best of luck.