How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 22629
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I moved into this house in 2007 and till April 2013 I had payed

Customer Question

I moved into this house in 2007 and till April 2013 I had payed all of my gas bills (which for me was
to high). At my April 2013 gas bill which seemed me extremely to high for this time of year, I noticed tak those bill
was estimated so I called to the EDF and asked them to give me the right meter reading but EDF asked
me to check what meter reading I have got. I didn't have key to box from gas so I asked them to send it
to me. When I opened this box from gas meter I sow that on my bills which I got from EDF for last 5years
is wrong meter number and the meter reading is completely different.
I called second time to EDF and when I explained everything them, they said to me that my meter since this
house was build (2004) never was on national data base. After my call EDF put my correct meter to national
data base. EDF calculated all bills which I had payed for not my meter and sent to me estimated bill for last
5years claiming that I was paying the correct accounts and that there should be no return to me.
Now I have a few questions to you:
1. How I can prove to EDF that I used less gas them they think (bills from neighbor who had the some house)?
2. Did EDF can issue me estimated bill for the last 5 years and how they can issue this bill if they did't
have any meter reading ?
3.Do I qualify for some money back?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Can you now get a correct meter reading?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, now I get correct meter reading


Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Assuming that you are staying in the house if you are to want the
maximum amount of money back from EDF, you need to wait for 12 months.

I will explain why

What you can then do is look at the next 12 months readings based
upon the actual meter and compare that with the five years previously.

Then you have something to compare with.

Bear in mind the price of energy has gone up in the last five
years so you would need to factor in those price increases so there would be
some maths to do.

But leaving the price increases out it would simply be a case of
looking at the 12 months usage from the correct meter readings and applying
that to the previous five years and asking them for the excess back and if they
don't refund it, issuing Small Claims Court proceedings against them.

As I said, the price of energy has gone up in the last five years
so you are probably entitled to more than that because the energy would have
been a lot cheaper the first year you were there and so on until it reached its
current price.

I don't think that you are going to get the maximum refund out of
this unless you have something to compare with

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I good undersood what you wrote to me, they should refund me all money from the last 5 years and they can charge me just for 1year.

But 1 year from today or from day that I make a claim(April2013)

Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry, no, that is not what I meant what I said was that if
you want to get the maximum refund you need something to base your claim on.

At the moment, you have nothing and that is why I suggested
seeing how much you use in the next 12 months and in 12 months time.

Claiming the difference for each of the five years between what
you actually paid and what you paid in this 12 month period, bearing in mind
that what you actually paid five years ago is based upon a different tariff.

You need evidence of 12 months actual usage on which to base your
claim for the refund. You are not entitled to a full refund your only entitled
to what they have overcharged you by and the only way you will know what they
have overcharged you by is by relating that to an actual twelve-month period
which is why I am suggesting that you cannot reclaim with any reliability for
another 12 months