How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kat-cssm Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10
Type Your Law Question Here...
Kat-cssm is online now

Can information given in a counselling session that has been

Customer Question

Can information given in a counselling session that has been arranged by Family Services be used to instigate a child protection case? It was given to a Domestic Violence counselor who said that everything said was said in confidence.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could we have the full background to your situation please?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you.
I am afraid that as a result of past tragedies the one exception to the confidentiality rule is anything that impacts on Child Safety - so yes I am afraid that something disclosed in such a session can indeed lead to a Child Protection Case
I am sorry not to give you better news, but do please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this case involves my sons girlfriend who is also considered by me and her as a daughter. She lived with me for two years until my son and her moved to a flat in town. She has now been told she cannot see my son, he cannot be there for the birth and also she cannot see me or they will take the baby away from her when it is born. She feels bullied and under pressure. Her words were they appear to be 'brain washing me' and if I tell them Luke is not a bad person they say well now you are worrying us and to her implying more likely to take away the baby. Can they refuse her permission to see Luke and me, and threaten to take her baby?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
They can certainly impose conditions and threaten care proceedings.
HOWEVER as the acknowledged father your son also has the right to be involved in any pre birth discussions involving Social Services and to Legal Aid in order to be represented
Expert:  Kat-cssm replied 4 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.