How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50165
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

i want to take my solicitors to court about the conduct of

Customer Question

i want to take my solicitors to court about the conduct of the poor seivice i suffered loss a s a result of there negligence thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 years ago.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Please explain your situation in a bit more detail

JACUSTOMER-gnhd2u90- :

hi went thourgh the house move solicitors put me and my family thourth a lot off stress did not compleat had to move a week later after packing up my hole house paying for my removeals i have told them i am not happy thay have looked in to my case and paid me 230.00 pounds and thay have said that is it

Ben Jones :

what is the value of your losses as a result of their actions?

Customer :

£4000 pounds and all the stress i could go on

Ben Jones :

This is a potential professional negligence matter so in order to take it further you would need to show that the solicitor owed you a duty of care (relatively easy to do), that they had breached that duty and hat you had suffered losses as a result.

The most difficult part is demonstrating that they had breached the duty of care they owed you. You will need to show that the solicitor fell below the standards of a reasonably competent solicitor, having regard to the standards normally expected in his profession.

For example, a solicitor holding himself out to be a specialist property solicitor is required to comply with the standards expected of a reasonably competent property solicitor. If there is a difference of opinion within the profession as to the correct practice, the professional will be able to demonstrate that he has not breached the duty of care if he can show that he acted in a way which was regarded as proper by a reasonable body of professional opinion.

So whilst you do have the option of suing the solicitor for negligence, there are a number of tests that you have to satisfy before your claim succeeds. You will likely need your own solicitor to help you with this claim. Also it is important to note that you will only be compensated for direct losses incurred from the solicitor's breach., You will not be compensated for stress or inconvenience - only quantifiable losses.

You may try and reach a settlement directly with the solicitor - they may be keen to do so in order to avoid being involved in legal action. Your solicitor must have a designated complaints procedure which you can use. Alternatively you can also take your case to the Legal Ombudsman - These are all options you need to consider before opting for legal action.

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much