How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello I am unsure of who to contact with this situation.

Customer Question

I am unsure of who to contact with this situation. We are being hounded by the Family Tax Credit office for monies they say we owe them from 2005. We were first contacted by them in 2009 about this and the amount has always changed from £168.51 to £4.782.64; I was told on the phone on Monday 28th October that the original bill was approx £6000. They admitted to not having paperwork for this and informed me that they were going on what was on the computer system. We protested in 2009 as we believe that we do not owe then this money; we stopped claiming Family Tax Credit in 2005 but I was told that because I stopped claiming they could not collect the rest of the money so they now want us to provide it to them.
I am in the process of collecting as much paperwork as I can on this so that I can try to put it to bed. Unfortunately; we were unsure of where to turn so we asked them to investigate this for us in 2009. They sent us a three-page letter outlining that they feel we owe £2.548.96 and we told them that we did not feel this to be the case and we wanted to make this a legal issue. They refused to do this and said nothing until a letter was sent by Equita dated 24th Oct 2013 telling us that they intend to collect the monies owed to the Tax office.
I know that I have only given you a brief overview of this problem but if you have any advice to give then please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please specify exactly what information you require

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I was wondering what your question was?