How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71136
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My family solicitor says I need a specialist for this ....

Customer Question

My family solicitor says I need a specialist for this .... I bought a car from a garage and traded in my old vehicle but the personalised number plate was never part of the deal. The garage agree to do the paperwork for the exchange. I received the new car registration documents and sent them to the garage so that they could arrange the switch ... and now they refuse to answer any correspondence or return the paperwork. This has been going on for over a year now.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can not get my cherished number plate transferred to my new car. It is worth over 4000 pounds plus I have had it all my life. I am worried that it will be lost as the MOT will have expired on the old vehicle so that I will no longer be able to transfer it. So the old car belongs to the garage but its number plate belongs to me.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry about the delay. I was travelling home and couldn't get online.

Any correspondence is more powerful if it comes from a solicitor but obviously also more costly.

There is no reason that you cannot deal with this yourself but they do appear to be ignoring your letters.

For that reason,I would get the solicitor to write to the garage saying that unless they sign the paperwork and return it in good order within the next seven days you will make an immediate application to court for a court order to make them do that and you will ask the court to award costs in your favour. It might be worthwhile sending them another copy of all the paperwork to sign along with a stamped addressed envelope

Tell them that the number plate is valued at £4000 and if you are unable to get the number plate back from them, you will sue them for that cost or, if you cannot find another number plate of equivalent prestigious value to you, for the same cost and it costs more, you will sue them for the extra cost also.

If they still refuse to reply, then you are faced with making an application to court.

Can I clarify anything for you?