How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I have just started my own Limited company and i

Customer Question


I have just started my own Limited company and i am paying myself £660.41 a month and i also recieve a army pension.
My ex-wife has gone to the CSA and they have calculated my contribrution by my invoice amounts from my company.
This does not seem right as my overheads and investment will have to come out of my turn over money ( i have sperate accounts).
I understand she is allowed a % of my dividends for the children which isn't a problem.
But it does not seem right the CSA are calculating on a turn-over of my company and not the money i am paying myself.
Could you please advise???

Thanks Shaun
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What overheads do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have just started the company, my overheads are Car ( the company i work for supply), so i pay for fuel only at the moment. I would like to rent a vehicle through the company but with limited start up funds this was the arrangement.

Phone, broadband, some hotels, food when away and dry cleaning.

The money with in the company i would like to invest in tools, IT equipment and a vehicle.

my overheads are very limited.

I will declare all dividends paid to me so the csa can assess the amount my children will recieve which isn't a problem.

I just think its strange they can assess me on my company turn over not the wage and pension i recieve each month.


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Was this calculation done after an application for a re-assessment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The firm i was working for went bust at the end of July. I was paying 350.00 a month (payed every month on time for the last 13 years) as a private arrangement.

But to get employed again i had to start my own firm. It then took 2 months to get the finanaces sorted so i asked if we could suspend payments untill i got sorted and start paying again. But i asked to reduce the amount as i was getiing less income.

She did not agree and said she wanted to go to the CSA.

I have now been assess and been left in the situation where i am being assess on the company turnover and not my income.

So this is the first assessment.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Did you send then details of your overheads to date?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes 2 months of company accounts. Because i could get a loan of the bank for vehicle and tools i was keeping the money in the company till i could afford to buy/rent so it looked like i was doing ok.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
So how much have you actually received in income - less the overheads to date in the period in question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have paid myself £ 660 per month from my company and £470.00 from my pension. This is what i live off.

I invoice £190 per day I work, I spend about £1,000 a month on overheads which i claim back from company (mainly fuel and IT equipment).

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
So how much do you invoice in the average month?