How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

ive had some jobs done by a local builder who works for a checkatrade

Customer Question

ive had some jobs done by a local builder who works for a checkatrade roofing contractors but did the work privately. The work is unfinished and the work finished is un satisfactory. He is now ignoring all contact in reference to fixing the problems. He has also taken money for materials and jobs not completed. I have no invoice from the jobs done only a record kept by my self, receipts and the builders merchants proof where we boight products from weekly. I only have his name and a phone number for him as he has moved and a phone number and address of the employee he works for. What can I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What was the price of the job please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There were numerous jobs like fitting a drainage system (which blocks everyday as pipes are to small), extending piping so we have a second tap further up the garden, re cementing the floor (which is uneven and cracked already) pointing the paving (not done properly, so is loose already) building a decking pen area (not secure so wobbles and is unsafe) fixing the roof (problem still there) building a lean to (leaks) he quoted a previous render job at £680 and did not do the job and kept the monies paid. So he was on a day rate of £50 per day cash and £30 a day off the monies owed. The job took longer then expected, more materials and extra expense then he left to work for someone else leaving my garden upside down

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

How long ago did he leave please?

What is his reason? Or has he just not given you one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Around 2 months. I gave him work whilst he was quiet and then a new job came up so he was supposed to finish mine then leave for new job. But he left and came and went when he had time to finish but then just stopped coming

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

You mention his employer, did you instruct them or him directly?

I presume you could find the address of his employer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know where his employer lives and his telephone number. I employed him directly not through the company

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Then your claim is against him rather than the company.

Obviously he is acting in breach of contract. There's no way around that. He cannot just walk off jobs in this way. He is liable.

The difficulty is tracking him down but that is not insurmountable. You can always use a tracing agent. You have enough information for them to be able to identify him within 24 hours fairly easily. Most tracing agents charge between £50-£100 although if this is a claim for less than £10k then you will not be able to claim the cost back.

You can issue against him here

There are a variety of tracing agents available. You can try here

Can I clarify anything for you?