How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I live in a ground floor maisonette which I own. The upper

Customer Question

I live in a ground floor maisonette which I own. The upper maisonette is occupied by tenants, a family (2 adults and 1 child). Their property is managed by a letting agent in Kingston, Surrey. Last Friday the daughter overflowed the basin in their bathroom causing £960 worth of damage to my bathroom. Their letting agent has said that she has spoken to the tenants and she is satisfied from that conversation that the tenants caused the damage and that the tenants were going to talk to me about the excess on the insurance policy which is £350. I have also heard today that the buildings insurance cover does not cover taking my bathroom mirror which is about 1.5 meters long off the wall to make good and redecorate the bathroom. The cost of this is £100.
What I would like to know is are the tenants upstairs responsible for paying these costs of £450 and if so how do I go about getting the money from them. Both the maisonette and my maisonette the buildings insurance cover is through the same insurer. I look forward to hearing from you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here as you will get an email when I respond.
Alex Watts : Have you sought reimbursement and if so what was the response please?
JACUSTOMER-9hxwei4p- :

I have asked for re-imbursement of the £350 excess yesterday and they said they would put a cheque through my door, which they haven't. I have tried calling/texting them today but they haven't replied. I have now written to them, enclosing copies of emails from the insurance broker showing the £350 excess and also the £100 to remove the mirror. I am now awaiting a response from them

JACUSTOMER-9hxwei4p- :

Dear expert,

JACUSTOMER-9hxwei4p- :

When will you be online to answer my question please?