How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I have a daughter 9 years old who has autism, add, pica,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a daughter 9 years old who has autism, add, pica, behaviour problems.

The teacher at school shouts at her and threatens to ban her from going out to play if she does not do her work, she was made late for her dinner today as she did not complete her work as result of her inability to carry it out because of her disabilities.

Sending her to dinner late distressed as she was bulled in with older children and was set about and taken the mick out of.

What are my child's legal rights with this
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you.
I am sorry but the answer remains as before - in order to take the matter forward on this basis you will need expert advice as to how your daughter's special needs should in fact be addressed and that the methods adopted by the school are harmful to her.
Without this there is little likelihood of a complaint being taken seriously
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Have you any comments to make as regards the Equality Act 2010 with reference to shouting at my disabled daughter and preventing her from going out to play

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but that simply is not relevant in this situation UNLESS and UNTIL you have produced the evidence that this is not an appropriate way of dealing with the child.
If you had already had a number of meetings involving the Health care professional caring for your child and the school and there was a Statement of needs in place detailing the child's educational requirements THEN you might be able to invoke the Act - as things stand you cannot do so