How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

How does a Freeholder collect rent from a tenant whose leaseholder

Customer Question

How does a Freeholder collect rent from a tenant whose leaseholder owner and landlord is absent and in arrears with ground rent and maintenance charges.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here as you will get an email when I respond.
Alex Watts : You need to write to the last known address and ask for payment within 14 days or say you will go to court.
Alex Watts : If you get no response then you can issue proceedings for the rent at the last known address.
Alex Watts : You can do this online at www, - the court will issue the claim and I am sure it will not be defended which means you can enter judgment.
Alex Watts : Once you have this then you can apply for a charging order on the property to secure the arrears, this makes the debt secure.
Alex Watts : You can then just either wait until the property is sold to recover the debt or apply to the court for an order to sell it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this for you about this today please?