How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Just going through divorce. My husband has made threats to

Customer Question

Just going through divorce. My husband has made threats to claim on my inheritance. My mother has a house in Athens (she is Greek) which is her main home. She is 81 years of age. I belief that my mother and my father (my father passed away 5 years ago) wrote part/most of the house over on my name with a clause that states I am not entitled to it until my mother passes away as she still resides in that house. (the top of the house I think has been written over to my sister) This was done years before I was married. 1. Do I need to declare this on the financial agreement to the English court as an asset? 2. Does my husband have a claim to the house even though I can not gain from it financially until my mother passes away? 3. Could he force a sale and my mother out of a home?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
If you do have an interest in the property then it is an assets that you need to Declare
However it will not make any great difference to the settlement since it is not an asset that you can sell - and your husband will certainly NOT be able to force a sale
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details