How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi,Im disabled and got fed up being called a scrounger.

Customer Question

I'm disabled and got fed up being called a scrounger. I decided to set up my own business. I bought stock, I bought a domain name, paid for a website, paid for hosting, paid for and gained copyright protection for the company name as a brand and paid someone to set up a business address with mail forwarding and registering the company with Companies House, set up a business bank account. All this money paid out and I thought I was good to go.

The webhosting company hijacked the site and locked in and wanted me to pay for extra hosting, I refused and couldn't get it unlocked. I managed to get the domain name freed but off course in the process the site and online shop had vanished. The company I paid to register the business did not forward mail and I never received the annual Return papers. They eventually emailed having failed to forward the forms they had opened my company mail and told me they had received the annual returns form but wouldn't forward it to me unless I paid yet another fee, despite them already being paid. I told Companies House this and they said they could only send the forms to the business address.

I never received the forms but received numerous threats through the post from Companies House threatening legal action. I emailed them and asked why they could send threats to my home but not the forms that they wanted me to complete. I told them what had happened to me and that I was effectively out of business and couldn't trade and had paid a load of money out. I have never had a response about that but still got threats from Companies House and threatening emails from them as well now. They have issued a summons to attend at some Magistrates Court in Wales, but still won't send the forms.

WHAT DO I DO! I have done nothing wrong, the only thing I'm guilty of is not receiving forms and being ripped off and they want to fine me and make me a criminal and pay a huge fine I can't pay!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What offence have they summonsed for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Failed to deliver an annual return, as explained.

section 858 (1-4) Companies Act 2006

Penalty is imprisonment and/or a fine!

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

I assume the papers went to the registered office address of your company. Did you change the r/o after you were let down by the hosting company?

Did you make any attempt to get a annual return form from a different source and return it to Companies House?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Umm you seem confused. Hosting company?!


The company I paid to set up the company with companies House and provide the registered office address and mail forwarding did nothing except open the mail when they weren't supposed to, they were supposed to forward the mail to me, that was what they were paid for. They didn't.


They or Companies House did change the address to my home address. What is the relevance if they can send threats to my home they can send the forms as well!


Where am I supposed to get the forms from? Nobody has mentioned the availability of the forms from anywhere else or provide any information whatever. Why try to criticise me when you are missing the point? The mail forwarding company can open my mail without permission but they can't send it, which is what they were paid to do. Why can Companies House post threats yet not include the forms with their threats?


I am here and have paid for help not to be wound up even more that I am already. I wouldn't be in this mess if people had done what they were paid to do!!!

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the first person didn't have a clue so I'm wondering why she even bothered, the second one just didn't read properly and heaped criticism on me. I want my money back, there's no such thing as justice in this joke of a country just people with their hands out all the time grabbing money and not caring how much crap they land you in!!!!

Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?