How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10773
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My name isXXXXX wife and I move here in 2005. I

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX wife and I move here in 2005. I am Canadian and she is Norwegian. We moved my mother in law here in 2007. She was 83 and we where the only family left. September the 7th she passed away now we are into the problem. My wife sent everything to Norway. She had a Norwegian lawyer and she went to court to get her inheritance and the judge said that we have to do it in the UK. My mother in law has no bank account in the UK and no debits. Can you help us
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hi John,


Thanks for your enquiry, and I will try and assist you.


What inheritance is your Wife trying to claim?- ie are all the assets held in Norway?


What exactly did the judge say, as regards what needs to be done?




Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The judge said that the probate had to be done in the uk . all assets are in Norway There is property that has been sold and closes about the 14th of december. Her mother had about 24%. So there is moneys that my wife should receive Plus her mothers bank account we don,t know how much is in there right now because my wife can no longer access it but she had a letter from the Norwegian Government saying that they had put more money into the account


Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hi again,


Thanks for your reply.


Well, on the basis that your Mother in law did not leave a Will, your Wife needs to apply for "Letters of Administration".


This is a Court document that the next of kin needs to apply for, and is evidence that she has the authority to deal with the Estate. Only once Letters of Administration been obtained, can the foreign assets be collected in, and this work is usually carried out by a Solicitor appointed by your Wife.


As there is foreign property involved, it is slightly more complicated than if your Mother in law just left UK assets. I would therefore normally recommend to my clients that they instruct a specialised firm of Solicitors to deal with the application for the Letters of Administration.


I set out a link for one such Firm-


I hope this answers your question.


Kind Regards



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I paid 47 £,s to get what I already knew I thought that I would get some help.

Like a law firm or a contact. That was a rip off

Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.




I have provided you with a very reputable law firm. I'm not sure what else you want me to say??