How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I think My partners ex wife is abusing her position working

Customer Question

I think My partners ex wife is abusing her position working for a large utility company to gain personnel details about me, obtaining my address, recent new mobile number and existing mobile number etc and then using this information to harass me with liebellous texts threating to report me for all sorts of activities which are not true. my identity was kept from her for many months as she has been harassing her ex husband for over 2 years and when ever he has a new partner, the harassment starts on the partner. We have no other idea how she got my details as I live in a different part of the country, not connected in anyway to anyone she knows. No other persons she might know have my details either. I feel she has breached data protection regulations. I need to force her to disclose how she obtained my personal information as this has led to much harassment and threats. how do I do this?
many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you have any evidence at all to support your suspicions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I have lots of texts on my private mobile numbe from herr

The number was not given out to anyone I have

shown this evidence to the police inpreparation for

a harrassment charge to be brought.

I need to understand how we can force her to disclose

how she has my private details which has resulted

in her harrassing me.

many thanks

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
I can see what information you need and why you need it but in criminal law there is no legal mechanism to 'force' somebody to reveal the source of their information.
In criminal law a person has a right to silence although there are limited exceptions, for example in terrorism cases, where failure to disclose information might in itself be a crime. Those exceptions do not apply to harassment cases.
I suspect this person may have committed a number of offences which may include harassment, data protection breaches and possibly computer misuse - but she has no legal obligation to admit anything.
I'm afraid its entirely down to you and the police to prove, if you can, that she has obtained information illegally and also the source of that information.
I'm sorry if this is somewhat disappointing but as a criminal lawyer with 20 years experience I know that getting information out of a suspect is nigh impossible unless that person volunteers the information or it can be traced by some other method.