How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

As a previous home owner I was forced to sell my home due to

Customer Question

As a previous home owner I was forced to sell my home due to ill health. When I heard a housing association had 9 apartments for rent on a brand new housing development of private homes I thought this would be a solution to my devastating circumstances. Being a professional person I didn't want my personal situation known to everybody. For 20 months I have lived comfortably on the development, until yesterday when I arrived home to find the housing association have erected four signs, three in the car park and one fixed directly on the front of the building, advertising that the apartments are social housing properties. Myself and fellow residents feel demeaned by this, whereas previously nobody knew we are social housing tenants. Is it right that they are allowed to do this, on a brand new development. Do we not have a right to privacy? Their response to my email is " we have a responsibility to market our properties" surely that is not acceptable and by doing so only serves to perpetuate an archaic class system. Rather than integrating social housing tenants into nicer areas they are causing almost segregation by labelling us as social housing tenants thus having negative consequences for tenants. Could I challenge the association. I am completely devastated by this as I now feel my personal situation is public. Thank you!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.


Hello there,


Thanks for your enquiry and am sorry to hear of your plight.


As regards their right to put up such signs and whether you can prevent this from happening, you have to look at the agreement between you and the Housing Association. This is of course set out in your Tenancy Agreement.


I am afraid there is not normally anything in a typical Agreement preventing them from putting up any such signs- the only covenant given by a Landlord which governs what they can and can not do as a Landlord is the covenant for quiet enjoyment. This covenant will state that the Landlord "covenants to give you, the Tenant, quiet enjoyment of the property" (ie if you have noisy neighbours/ experience harassment from the Landlord constantly gaining access to your property, then you have the right to take action against the Landlord).


The erection of the signs would not amount to a Landlord's breach of this covenant. Indeed, most Agreements will include a clause giving the Landlord a right "to deal with the building as they deem necessary" and therefore legally, I am afraid there is nothing you can do.


All you can do to appeal to their better nature and hope that they agree to remove them.


I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.



Kind Regards