How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My neighbour has gated and paved an area of farm track that

This answer was rated:

My neighbour has gated and paved an area of farm track that is an old carriage track, it has been used by horse riders for many years although he does not own the land, he says that it is a private road and he has been asked by the landowner to keep people out.
He will not say who the owners are so I am unable to ask them.
I have tried to find out who owns the land without success. Yesterday he refused access to
fencers working for Network Rail who are improving track fencing on the land that I rent for my horses.
The track is the only access point for vehicles onto this land.
Also horse riders used the track for access to the milton keynes bridleway network which he has now refused to allow. He has admitted he does not own the land. What can be done?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : For how many years has there been access please?

As far as I'm aware at least the last 20 - 30 years and I have been told that it has been a carriage track for hundreds of years

Alex Watts : Thank you. The first thing to say is that only the land owner can exclude you, this other person can not.
Alex Watts : In any event you have a prescriptive right, this comes into force if you can establish it had been used for 20 years. The right becomes absolute after 40 years.
Alex Watts : If you are being denied access then you can write to the person and say that unless access is restored you will go to court and get an order.
Alex Watts : If he refuses then you can get a solicitor locally to write and again set out your position and say you will go to court if he refuses.
Alex Watts : If he still refuses then you can issue proceedings.
Alex Watts : You would need to complete form N1 and N16a
Alex Watts : The court will then list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order giving access.
Alex Watts : Ideally you would also need to name the land owner as I am not sure if he knows access is being prevented as he is the only one that stop access.
Alex Watts : The judge can then make an order allowing access and if this continues to be refused he can be found in contempt of court.
Alex Watts : The judge can fine, warn or even send to prison.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Could you tell me how I can find out who the landowner is?

Alex Watts :

If it is registered it should be at:

Alex Watts :

I hope this helps?



Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you