How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Dear Sir/Madam After a failing marriage , and being left in

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam
After a failing marriage , and being left in France with no money and various animals to take care of ,my wife and I felt sorry for our daughter ,so we helped her move back to England and allowed her to stay in a caravan in part of our houses grounds ,she then slowly started taking more and more and bullying us at any confrontation . things have now become un- workable she has been there for some five years now and she believes that the land and everything therein is hers .
We have asked to leave on various occasions but she ignores us and isolates herself once more ,
The situation has become more than unbearable and we are looking for a legal solution to remove her from our land .
Please could you advise us to our position and our next move ,thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does the caravan itself belong to you or her
What financial contribution has she made?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Clare ,first of all i would like to point out that we are in our mid seventy's and our daughter is 54 ,and first of all she stayed in our caravan and then she converted the stables in living accommodation at her expense.

she has contributed a maximum of £100 per week and for this she gets water /food /electricity/and the rent of a two acre paddock for her horse /and various other animals .,but since January 2013 she has only contributed £75 per week now she owes us nearly £1500 which we need to heat our house . after trying to talk with her she refuses to be civil and shouts obscenities at us .so we have asked her to leave on many occasions, and last Saturday things got really bad and my husband ended up after complete provocation smacking her face ,we do have two witnesses one independent of the family .she then went to the police and made a complaint .

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Was any paperwork signed at the time she made these alterations?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no there was no paperwork signed .there was a verbal agreement to,say that we offered her the money back that she spent doing the dwelling up .if and when the main house was sold .,we have an idea to offer her £10,000 to move out in a civil manner and to be paid a further equal amount when the house is sold .she actually spent about 15.000 and will possibly take most things with her ,but she is family even though her behavior is not very nice .


Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Despite her financial contribution she has no right to remain in your property if you do not want her there
You need to give her "Reasonable Written Notice" to leave - I woudl suggest at least three months - after which you can change the locks on the property and call the police if she tries to re-enter the property.
Send the letter recorded delivery and keep a copy.
If you wish to offer her the money after she has had the letter then that would be very fair.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details