How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

In 1988 I was made a bankrupt . In 1994 The bankruptcy was

This answer was rated:

In 1988 I was made a bankrupt . In 1994 The bankruptcy was discharged. In 1998 I was incorrectly charged by the police for trading whilst un-discharged. My solicitor told me that I should plead guilty and I would get a reprimand. I was being treated for a breakdown at the time and went along with the solicitor. I was given a 12 month custodial sentence by the Judge and served six months . Whilst in prison I was then charged by the police for working in a charity and charged for six months. I know that a senior police detective has for some reason done this as his statement was sent to me. I am innocent of these charges as my bankruptcy was discharged and debtors paid off in 1994. This has caused me great problems in business and therefore I have very little liquid money and am existing on a state pension.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish to obtain compensation from the police and courts over wrongful imprisonment. My local court has suggested this but I do not no where to start or how to do it.

sorry if I'm missing the point but what's the wrongful imprisonment?

Has anybody explained what wrongful imprisonment means?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was sent to prison when innocent.

Yes, I understand that but thats not wrongful imprisonment necessarily. Loads of people are remanded when there is no case against them.

What is the wrongful imprisonment point exactly ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was sent to prison for 6 months for Trading whilst bankrupt. I was not Trading whilst Bankrupt and have at last received confirmation from The insolvency service of my release from Bankruptcy date. This was 7 April 1991. Several years before I formed another Company. Who do I apply tp for compensation and damages?.

I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but you seem to plead guilty?

If the charge was founded upon a misconception why did you plead guilty?

Sorry for the pressure but I need to understand your points
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure this link is working. I have been directed back to this page on three occasions after answering your question. Could you deal with me via e-mail ?

We aren't allowed to have contact otherwise than online I'm afraid under the rules of this site.

I'm able to see your responses though?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK fine. I also cannot find any button on the screen to rate you !. I think the last question from you was why did I plead guilty. As the insolvency office did not send the date of my clearance from bankruptcy I was told to plead guilty and I would get either a fine or my knuckles wrapped. I was in the process or a mental breakdown and did what the solicitor and barrister said. I was on very strong medication and was not " compus mentis" enough to realise what was going on.

Ok. Thank you.

Obviously I have not vision of this case and I suppose you need to bear that in mind but I'm afraid I cannot see a claim.

This was clearly a weak case that would probably have crumbled if you had contested it. That does not mean its a case of wrongful imprisonment. People are charged upon rubbish evidence all the time. Thats why sometimes people are acquitted. That doesn't mean its a wrongful imprisonment.

Wrongful imprisonment arises when the evidence before the prosecution authorities at the time of charge or arrest etc is not sufficient to support an arrest. That would not seem to be the case here unless you are saying that they knew that you were not undischarged.

In any event, to claim you have to sue the force. You can speak to various firms that sue the police. I know that both Tuckers here

and McCormacks here

Do look at actions. It might be that with full vision of the case then a claim will become apparent.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot Jo. Yes the police new I was discharged and I have since found out some unsavory matters in this police officer who is now high ranking. My info comes from a source I cannot yet name. Thanks for your help I will contact the solicitors you have named,

Kind regards. John Ridgway

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.