How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother has dementia and has recently been looked after in

This answer was rated:

My mother has dementia and has recently been looked after in a secure dementia unit where the people are much worse than her. Her mental health social worker is trying to transfer her to another more suitable home. I need to organise power of attorney to oversee her care and affairs and would like to know how to go about this.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How severe is your mothers dementia at present?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Clare


She is classed as moderate but is in a unit for severe sufferers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

moderate, particularly very bad memory of only several minutes


Have you asked if she still has sufficient Mental Capacity to actually sign a Power of Attorney?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean have I asked her? She doesnt accept she has dementia but is unable to fill out forms or remember basic information about herself. I havent asked her to hand over LPA because she has become untrusting of me since her husband evicted her. Her social worker is not helpful in telling me how I should go about securing the LPA

No I meant have you asked her consultant if she has capacity
In fact from what you say it is unlikely that she does and that being the case I am afraid that your only option is to apply to the Court Of Protection to be appointed as her deputy
The details are here
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help.


You are most welcome - good luck