How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I own a house with a lady for the last 10 years 50-50 [joint

This answer was rated:

I own a house with a lady for the last 10 years 50-50 [joint tenets], we have separated and she has moved out on 31/10/13 she will sell her share to me but for £42,500 in excess of her 50% share of the market value, which is £325,000 I have offered her £20,000in excess of her half, this she has refused and will not move from her figure.
She is willing to sell on the open market where she will only get 50% of asking or even lower selling figure. crazy as this may sound.

Is there a way that I could buy from her but not at her high figure?, if I cannot and it is sold to another could I refuse to pay any of the selling agents fee's as I do want to buy it myself and not another, effectively I have a buyer,= myself?.
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


If she applies to the Court for an Order for sale she will get a shock.
Since you are ready and willing to buy her out she will find that the costs of the application will be hers to pay - and the court can order that it is sold at a set price to the first willing purchaser - and there is no reason why you should not be the purchaser
So let her get on with it - you have nothing to lose
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you