How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello. I work as a social worker in Manchester. As a part of

This answer was rated:

Hello. I work as a social worker in Manchester. As a part of my duties I have regularly to park in restricted area e.g. on double yellow lines. From time to time I get parking tickets whilst parked whilst on both emergency and scheduled visits to service users. Manchester city council are refusing to take my circumstances into account and insist that parking tickets must be paid. Is there any legal resource I could use to avoid having to pay these tickets?

Also whilst escorting a client to a tribunal hearing (benefits) I had to park on a city council car park which would not accept my payment. As we were already late and there was a risk of the client missing his appeal. When I came back there was another ticket. I have explained that as I was parked as a part of my job I could have claimed the cost of parking as expenses and there was no reason for me to avoid paying the cost. The warden who issued the ticket however lied and said the meter was not jammed. City council are therefore perusing the charge. I did not get the appeal to traffic commissioners in time and as such thing have now progressed to bailiffs. Is there anything I can do about this situation. It really irritates me that city council state that they are able to behave in this way. I just cannot turn up as I have statutory duties but I am being penalised for carrying out those duties.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there any provision in law for people in my circumstances i.e are the local authority right when they state that the tickets placed are legal and therefore enforceable.


I am sorry but there is not.

There are some provisions for emergency vehicles like police cars to break the speed limit, enter bus lanes etc. Those have to be justifiable though.

Ultimately you are just driving a private vehicle and subject to the same rules as others.

You can always ask the council to cancel using their discretionary grounds but the points that you make do not amount to a positive defence to parking on a double yellow line I'm afraid.

On the second point though, if the meter will not take payment then that is a defence. The warden may well have lied. I know they do that sometimes. Then it will come down to who is believed at tribunal. Of ten if you require their attendance at the tribunal though the council will drop the fine as they won't want the warden of the streets.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help with this.


As a final point, given that I missed the date to reply to the traffic commissioners re the meter that would not take my payment, am I still able to appeal and if so are you able to advise how I would go about this?

If this is just the issue of PCN then you can still appeal.

They will send you a notice to owner and you can appeal then.

All that has happeend is that you have lost the right to appeal informally to the PCN.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think you misunderstood.


I have had the notice to owner with the form to send to the traffic commissioners but missed the date for appeal. So what I need to know is that irrespective of this, am I still able formally challenge the PCN?


Many thanks.

If you are out of time then there is no further appeal without leave but if you ask the local council then they might set aside the order in the interests of fairness.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you