How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, i rented my house to a young couple who for the first 8

This answer was rated:

Hi, i rented my house to a young couple who for the first 8 months paid there rent on time and in full, they were fostering at the time and have since adopted, once they adopted all there benefits ended, subsequently they have no money and owe me 3 months rent, they have moved out but the outstanding rent still remains, is there a way i can register the dept against them in some hope of it being paid one day?.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

What type of contract did you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Standard 12month tenancy agreement, it expired at the end of august however i never produced another so as not to tie me in for another 12months if the dept got any worse so just let it rollover.


I presume that it exceeds the sum of the deposit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Taking into account there deposit, outstanding balance is £1025.00. is it possible to register this dept against them until paid off? it would just be easy for them say in another 6 months to just dissapear and due to the time lapsed not have any powers to reclaim the dept?.


You can't register a debt per se. Only certainly creditors have access to the credit reference agency.

What you can do though is sue at the small claims court here

And then you get a CCJ which is added to the credit agency anyway.

Obviously whether they pay or not is another matter but you can use bailiffs if they do not.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just a thought Jo, if they renaig on payments say after 6 months can i take them to small claims court even after that length of time?.

Yes, you can. You have six years but generally you should be aware that courts dislike delay.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’