How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My mother in law has recently had a stroke that has left her

This answer was rated:

My mother in law has recently had a stroke that has left her unable to walk or look after herself Before this happened she lived with us in our two bed roomed bungalow for the past 3 years . Before this ,she lived by herself in her own house which she owned,mortgage free.It was decided to sell the house and my mother in law wished to split the proceeds of the sale 3 ways among her children .This was approx. 15 month ago.Now the hospital has informed us that mum will need more care that we can give and ,unfortunately,have advised us to look for a care home that can provide the care she needs. We are asking if the money we received from the sale could be required by the authorities to pay for mum,care? she has a reasonable sum in her own account but what happens if this runs out? Mum is 96 And we are both pensioners

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much was received please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We each received 21thousand pounds

I am sorry but the local council will probably take the view that she took this action to divest herself of assets in an attempt to avoid paying care fees. I'm afraid they are very suspicious of transfers like this now.

Sadly, if the money is needed to pay for care then the authority will try to recover from whoever has received the funds to pay for the care until they are exhausted.

Once the money runs out in her own account then the recipients of the proceeds of the sale will be required to pay for the care until there is just £23 k in total remaining.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’