How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have just recently purchased a property and was wondering

This answer was rated:

I have just recently purchased a property and was wondering how easy is was to convert it from a Residential purchase to a B&B?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you mean a mortgage conversion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo


no I do not mean a mortgage conversion I mean do I need to inform any body about turning a Residentail property in to a small business.




Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

My colleague has asked me to look at this for you.

Could you tell me whether the home will remain mainly still your home with some bed and breakfast activity on the side or will it be overwhelmingly turned over to bed and breakfast business with you just happening to also live there.


How many bedrooms do you have in the house and how many do you plan to give over to B&B?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Joshua


It will be entirely turned over to a Bed and Breakfast business - also i will be living on the premises.


There are 4 Bedrooms in the property and three of them will be turned over to the B&B business.



Thanks for the above. If the B&B was incidental to your main use of the property as your home - usually measured in crude terms by less than 50% of the bedrooms being turned over to B&B - then no permission should be required from the local authority as the use as B&B in such circumstances would be deemed incidental to your primary use as your residence.

If however you intend to devote the majority of the property to B&B you will need to consider an application for change of use to the council before you can do so. The council will consider the application in accordance with their local plan which is the local policy theuy apply for planning applications of all kinds including change of use. You can ask the council for a copy of the local plan - often it is available on their website - to see what their local policies are on such matters. A discussions with one of the planning officers at the council can also be helpful in ascertaining the councils position on an aplication for change of use of this nature.

Normally the application will be decided based on need in the area for B&B accomodation and the saturation of other B&B offerings in the area however there may be other particular issues that may effect the application which is why familiarising yourself with the local plan can be useful.

If your application is unsuccessful or the council indicate that it may be received in a hostile manner, you could consider starting initially a small scale operation where you hire out a minority of the rooms in the house as above which would not fall to a change of use application.

Consider that you will require to comply with fire safety regulations for B&Bs - this normally requires fire doors, and fire alarms and fire extinguishers and so on and a set of the regulations can be obtained from your local fire safety officer.

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 26070
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Joshua and other Law Specialists are ready to help you