How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71041
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX my problem is my Landlord - I

This answer was rated:

my name is XXXXX XXXXX my problem is my Landlord - I have given a writing notice of my leaving to the Landlord on 9th October 2013. The end of tenancy is 4th December 2013 In the same letter I have asked to set up a date and time for hanover the key and check out the property. I have`t hear from him since so I sent him an email last Sunday asking again - but still nothing. I am worry he want to continue as Statutory Periodic Tenancy so far refusing to do the handover. He already introduced two Estate Agency to re-market the property but still no date for hanover the keys- none of this letting agents wants to deal with it - I am totally hopless what to do now!!!! Please any advise will saving from troubles (he didn`t protected my deposit when I first moved in and I am about to take a legal action for it)
Thank you

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I need to know what to do with the keys?

Have you spoken to the agents?

Do you have an address for the landlord?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have spoken to the agents - but they do not do the check out as I have been told they haven`t seen this property before I moved in (in 2007) also yhey said they only do the value and re- market the property that is all.


Yes I have my landlord address

No, I understand that but that isn't what you have to do.

If you have given notice in good time and in writing as you are entitled to do then all you have to do is make the keys available to him. If he chooses either not to collect or not to do an inventory then that is a matter for him. He cannot hold up your departure in this way.

You can leave the keys with the agents. If they refuse to accept them then you can just contact the landlord by some recordable means - e.g emails or texts so that you can prove what has been said - and tell him that the keys are available to him from you at any time of his choosing.

He can't just keep charging you because he hasn't collected the keys.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not wish to keep his keys - can they be sent by recorded letter to him instead?


Yes, you can do that but make sure it is recorded delivery so that he cannot deny receiving them.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’