How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husband and I are separating. I have a good salary and pay

Customer Question

My husband and I are separating. I have a good salary and pay the mortgage, school fees for our 3 yr old, the nanny and child minder for our 18 month old. My husband pays £200 a week most weeks but lately has only been working 3 days a week (out of choice not because the work isn't there). I bought the house before I met him and we got married 2 yrs later in 2008. He built an extension last year but I paid for it including his labour charges. The house is currently worth a lot more than I paid for it. Can he force us to sell it or buy him out? It is in my sole name
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ExperiencedLawyer replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

1. what is the value of the house (and any mortgage)?
2. what is the total value of the other assets you and he hold (a total value rather than individual values is fine)?
3. what is your income (after tax)?
4. what was the value of the assets that you each brought into the relationship?
5. do either of you have any pensions?