How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Our daughter is 19. She has now left school/college. She frequently

This answer was rated:

Our daughter is 19. She has now left school/college. She frequently smokes cannabis & we are not sure about her using other substances e.g. Ketamine. She does have a job. Currently she is living at home. We have repeatedly asked her not to bring illegal substances into our house which she ignores, she has big mood swings and her antisocial behaviour is increasing with some violence as well as foul language. Though never proven, many items have gone missing from money to electronic devices or jewellery that can (presumably) be sold. We hide our money and valuables and lock as many doors as possible to restrict her access. We have now got to the stage where want her to move out and are not sure legally how to do this as she has been asked to do so, but refuses. She has a younger brother of 14 who is caught up in this and she does not pay rent.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How can I help you with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You say you need more information, but haven't asked me any questions. So I don't know what you want.

Can you please clarify the specific questions you have about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The specific question is how to get our daughter out of our home when she refuses to leave.


If she doesn't pay rent and has never done so then she is just a guest in your house and has no rights to remain at all. You can literally change the locks after she goes out one day and leave her property outside for her to collect.

Its best to treat her as a tenant though to protect yourself from her seeking injunctions on that basis. All you have to do issue her with written notice of 28 days that she is required to leave on a specific date.

If she does not go then you can change the locks when she goes out. You don't need a court order to evict a lodger.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
Is there any charge against us if we know that she is smoking Cannabis in our house?
There is an offence of allowing consumption of drugs in your house but its used for things like landlords of crack houses. Its not going to be applied to this situation.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’