How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34889
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I stop my partners ex wife coming around to my house without

This answer was rated:

Can I stop my partners ex wife coming around to my house without prior arrangement? My partner and his wife split in July 2010 and we met in Oct 2011 we moved in together in September 2012 and in Feb 2013 the oldest child (14 years old) came to live with us and is refusing to go to the ex wife's house but will meet her in a neutral place. The second child (13 years old) came to live with us in June 2012.She will go to her mothers house for one night a week. In September I bought a house, which I paid for and is in my name. She has been around twice without warning, once to have a row with my partner and last week to dump her cat on my doorstep as she didn't want it anymore even though I told her I didn't want it. She has also opened an account with a shop in her name on my address. I phoned up the shop and cancelled this account as soon as I found out. What are my legal rights
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are these the only two times she has turned up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At this house,yes. Before this we lived in rented accommodation and she used to turn up there without prior arrangement but I felt that as we were renting there and the contract was in my partners name it was up to him to put a stop to it. After we moved house and the house is in my name that I could then have a say. We did ask her after the first time not to turn up without first arranging it. This she has now ignored. I just want to be able to open my front door without having her on the otherside shouting at me. I'm trying to create a home for my daughter and her two daughters that is peaceful. I forgot to mention in the original email that she suffers from paranoia delusions but refuses to take her medicines. She is accusing us of having an affair before they separated (Which is not true). The neighbours must be wondering what has moved in. I have also gained a cat which I am now stuck with as if I give it away or give it to the RSPCA, her two daughters will be upset with me and make life at home difficult. The ex has a dog (Japanese Atika) which I'm scared will be the next to turn up on the doorstep. These are dangerous dogs that I'm not trained to handle

Has she any reason to attend your property - to collect the children or anything similar?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, the children tend to meet her in the city centre and the youngest goes straight from school to her house on the nights she stays there and go back to school the next day. She has only once been here when dropping the girls off after a meeting in town when you could say she had a 'right' to be here

In that case the starting point is to write and tell her that she is not welcome at your property and that if she does attend you will call the Police.
When she next turns up you will indeed have to call the police and report her for harassment.
This is a more effective method than attempting to obtain a Non Molestation Order since two visits in three months is unlikely to be seen as a serious issue.
I am sorry not to be able to offer anything more concrete but sadly this is the law as it stands
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you