How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Dont know if this is property law. I have been conned

This answer was rated:

Don't know if this is property law. I have been conned by a builder who put in a new bathroom specifically for my disability needs. Discovered he has left the area with no forwarding address. He claimed to be au faux with disability needs. In fact, he has not told the truth and only discovered this after I had foolishly paid him the final instalment. He needs to be stopped - there is a history of his activities (New Zealand). I do not want another disabled or able bodied person to be conned by this man. I have been left with a bath that produces a drip of water and am now having to pay someone else to replace the inadequate cylinder. Anne [email protected]


Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Booked a plumbing expert; convinced me of his expertise with disabled needs. Bathroom not completed but adequately done by someone to whom he delegated the work. He (the contractor) installed a cylinder which produces only a trickle of water - therefore bath not able to be used. Most of the appliances he double charged me - not finding out the real cost. Have now booked a plumber to replace the cylinder for one that works - I am probably out about a few thousand - still researching the actual costs. This man must be stopped somehow.


I have to go out unexpectedly - how do I contact you when I get back


The question won't close from your side so you can come back any time.

What do you want to know about this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As stated initially - I want to know what steps I can take to stop this confidence trickster - I have informed the fraud people and trading standards. I have been asked by the polio society to put some information on the letters page - can I, in law, name the perpetrator.?? Is there anything else I can do to alert the country as to this person - I believe he is on the move again.


You can complain truthfully as publicly as you like about this person. You can name him if your complaint is a truthful one.

If this is a plumber then you can complain here

Although whether he is a member or not is another matter obviously.

You have already taken all the important steps already such as reporting him to the police and to trading standards.

Its not an online issue so the online scam sites will not be interested though

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As there is no address for him - I assume it is impossible to take him to small claims court and then bailiffs. Do I understand correctly that if he had set up a limited company then he can close this and not be liable. Will he be able to trade again with another company name. Can companies register be alerted. I have traced him in this country and New Zealand where he has conned people.


So - I can alert Age Concern and other organisations to be wary of this man - is this correct. i.e. how much information can I give.

Its not possible to use the online service but you could serve upon him by other means - even if it means a service agent dropping the summons at his feet. The problem is that there is cost in that.

You can't alter Companies Register without a CCJ against the company.

As I've said, you can complain truthfully about the work he did for you as much as you like. You can say what you like as long as its true. If you don't know whether something is true or you are just offering an opinion then that is more dangerous.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is true that the work is not satisfactory. It is true that he did not consult my polio organization; He misrepresented his expertise in that he said he had designed my 'special' bath and it turned out to be an off the self bath. He has not paid the contractor who fitted the bathroom - he said I had not paid him which was untrue. I foolishly paid the last instalment before I realised that the water flow was non-existant.


So all of this I can say and name him to various organizations to alert them.


We cannot serve a summons as he has left without a trace.


What is CCJ?

if it is true then you can say it in public.

A county court judgment
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for this. Does my £33.00 allow me to come back to you over a given period of time or is this it.

You can ask follow up questions related to this post for free for an unlimited time.

All the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you