Hi I made an allegation of abuse against a former Catholic

Hi I made an allegation of abuse against a former Catholic Priest and this is due for trial next week, It is really affecting me and the way my life is going, I have a good job, am well respected and i do not want to go ahead with this case what can I do

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this the first time you have made such an allegation please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

Yes it is the allegation was first made a number of years ago although not to the Police and I didnt proceed then I gave a full statement about two years ago.

This priest has already been convicted an jailed on two seperate occasions for two similar offences

Is this an allegation of sexual abuse or violence?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sexual Abuse

That is all I need to know.

If this is an allegation of sexual abuse then they probably will let you withdraw. They do have a policy of summonsing at the moment but mostly that is applied to allegations of violence within a domestic setting.

Obviously they do not have to let you withdraw. You are not removing the evidence by making a retraction statement. You are just saying that you are reluctant. That is not evidence. However, for the most part they will allow withdrawals.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jo

Who do I need to contact to withdraw is it the Police or Public Prosecution Service?

The police. They are the evidence gatherers.

The PPS will make the ultimate decision.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’