How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My partner and I are currently living in his sisters house,

This answer was rated:

My partner and I are currently living in his sister's house, as he has been her main carer for several years. She has now been admitted to a home and her son, who has Enduring Power of Attorney, has decided to put the house on the market. Potentially, we might have to move out of the property in a couple of months if the property is sold.
Recently, we received a demand for payment of Council Tax, up until April 2014. Would we be liable to pay the Council Tax although we are neither owners nor tenants and, if there is a strong possibility we won't be living there within the next few months?
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you.
Your liability for Council Tax will cease the day that you vacate the property if there is no formal tenancy agreement in place.
You will need to notify the Council as soon as you move out
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you