How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

is there anything in the law which deals with plagiarism

This answer was rated:

is there anything in the law which deals with plagiarism
Thank you for your question.

Yes, it is called breach of copyright. How can I help you with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok if someone else uses an intellectual piece produced by me and I demanded a return for it, and it is now not returned to me, what are my legal rights?

You can apply for a court order to prevent this party from using your work and you can also claim damages representing lost income for improper and unauthorised use.

Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has been used already, it is basically an intellectual piece which relates to an academic research. Which the third person have used without consent and have esentially offered a price for it but walked away without paying it. He has frauded the academic world to say that the piece of work is his when it is in fact mine claiming it to be his ideas when the copy right has not yet been transferred.

That confirms that the remedy open to you is that outlined by me above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could it be considered as fraud?

Not in a criminal sense but in a civil law sense in that someone is passing off your work as theirs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How does Civil fraud work?

As advised already the remedy is a court order to stop the person using your work and an application for damages to cover financial loss.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok thank you