How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hi I have been complaining to the council about their noisy

Customer Question

Hi I have been complaining to the council about their noisy tenants for over a year. They continually fob me off and it has now become unbearable. I often have to leave my house as the music and base is so loud my furniture actually vibrates. I have sent numerous letters and still nothing. I would like to involue a solictor to show them I am serious and push them into taking action. What would this involue. Please help.

Kind regards
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

To whom do you want to send a solicitor's letter? The Council or the tenants?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To the council as they are responsible for the tenants. I do not want any involument with the tenants.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

It is quite easy to send a solicitors letter but its not a good idea.

A solicitors letter will cost about £100 plus VAT and it will achieve nothing in this specific instance. Whether you involve a solicitor or not, nobody can force prosecution authorities to act. We do not have prosecution on demand in the Uk.

Whether they act or not is a matter for them.

If you are intent then you can approach any high street firm and ask them to write to the council for you.

A better option is to complain to the Ombudsman who will consider why they have not acted. They are under a duty to act reasonably at all times and doing nothing about a nuisance tenant is not acting reasonably.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, I am just at the end of my tether. Would it be worth getting a subject access request so I can see all the information on the case before contacting the Ombudsman?


Many thanks


Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.
You can do that but they will almost certainly strike out anything sensitive from any disclosure that they give you.

I've tried using SARs to get information like this before and generally speaking the councils are better than the police but not by much.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,