How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Good Morning, how much do you charge for this service? Val

This answer was rated:

Good Morning, how much do you charge for this service? Val

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

Can you please explain your situation a bit more?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning Jo.

My problem is that I am really ashamed that I have been disqualified from driving in the UK, after having a clean licence for 40 years. I was ill and taking anti-depressants and only drove for 10 seconds and wasn't stopped by the Police whilst driving.

We are relocating to France and I have been informed by various sources (inc DVLA) that I would be able to drive in France with 'Certificate of Entitlement' but this evidence is very conflicting. They would need a French address to be able to send this document and I would have that.

Our whole life depends on this as we would be in Countryside in Domfront, Normandy.

I need an absolute answer, before we can put our house on the market.

Or we will have to change our plans completely.

Please Help!!!! Val


Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I am moving to live in France. I have a driving disqualification in UK. I need to drive in France as we will be in countryside.

DVLA have told me that I can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement when I give them my permanent address.

Is this true?

Our future depends on this answer. Val



Are you still on a ban in the uk please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am but should move to France within 2 months. Val


The uk courts do not have jurisdiction over what you do on France which is why the DVLA told you that you could drive there.

However, your uk licence is revoked now so cannot be relied upon to drive in France. Also, since France is in the EU they should recognise the disqualifications of the uk as all member states recognise the bans of each other now. That is obviously a very optimistic view if the efficiency of the EU though but it is what should be happening.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes Jo you can. I have been told by the DVLA that disqualification in the Uk

is not applicable in France.

thanks Val

Its as I've said above on that point.

What else did you want to know?

Can I help further?