How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Id like to apply for the British citizenship through naturalisation.

This answer was rated:

I'd like to apply for the British citizenship through naturalisation. I came to England from one of the EEA countries (not Bulgaria or Romania) in September 2006 and have lived in the UK permanently since then.

I have a very professional level of English, level C2 (confirmed by the Cambridge professional qualification) and a BS(Honours) degree from a British university .

The only issue seems to be connected to my very low income which means I have never been a tax payer. I have only been working as an aupair part-time since arriving to England and I was a student for most of my time here.

Would this disqualify me from applying? I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Hi, thank you for your question.

In respect of you obtaining british citizenship this should not be an issue provided you have evidence of you exercising treaty rights in the UK.

You must be able to show payslips etc to show that you are exercising treaty rights in the UK and also the fact that you are on low income.

What I would suggest you do is apply for permanent residency first enclosing the 6 years evidence of you exercising treaty rights. The application fee is £50.00 compared to £1000.00 for the nationality fee. If you application is granted and you are issued with permanent residency in the UK you can then apply for nationality knowing that you will not have any issues. The form for permanent residency is EEA 4, please see the following link:

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you very much for your response.


I appreciate your advice about applying for a permanent residency status first. This makes a lot of sense considering a much lower financial investment. Many thanks for a useful web link.


However, having worked as an aupair only means that I don't have a weekly or monthly evidence in form of slips. Being an aupair is not a formal job, wages are pocket money. I don't have the evidence that aupairing provides a low income as no formal documentation confirming such income has ever been required of me. Perhaps this is because I never claimed benefits or other forms of support.


In this situation do you think I could use my bank statements and letters from families I have worked for as a form of evidence instead of slips? I could provide some information about past transactions from my bank but I've had an account only for about 4 years as my family used to pay me in cash at the beginning


How could I obtain a formal evidence about obtaining a low income? For example, would the letters from the families suffice?


I will be thankful for additional information.







Thank you for your reply.

Yes the documents you have stated would need to be provided also statements from the bank as well as the families you have worked for should also be provided.

If you are not working as an employee then I suggest that you consult an accountant who may wish to draft up your accounts for your self-employment showing what your earning were or are and that they are low enough for you not to be subjected to tax.

I would also suggest that your show invoices for the work undertaken and the amount that you undertook work for. Therefore consulting an account would be the best way forward.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you again for your reply. I haven't really thought it might help to get in touch with an accountant- this piece of advice is very appreciated.


So you are suggesting that from a legal point of view I could classify as a self-employed person? Perhaps I could also rely on the government approved official aupair organisation, BAPA, which mentions the amount of working hours of an aupair, specifies their income and tax exemption rights plus justifications for such exemptions. BAPA also gives more specific information about aupairs' more unique, non-employment status.

Do you think this could be useful?


These are my two last questions- I promise! I would be more than thankful if you could provide your final answers.


Best regards




Thank you for your reply.

Yes i would suggest that you are self employed because you are not working under an National insurance number and you are not working for a company.

I would suggest that you provide the letter from BAPA. You should also talk to the accountant to confirm that you would be seen as a self employed individual.

I hope this answers your questions. Its not a problem I just hope you find the information helpful.

Kind regards