How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I Am English And Lived In Brasil For Six Years I Met My Wife

This answer was rated:

I Am English And Lived In Brasil For Six Years I Met My Wife There Soon After I Arrived. We Came To The Uk March 2012 & We Married Here At Guildford Registry Office. We Returned To Brasil September 2012. Within The Six Months Visitor Visa. We Returned To The UK November 6th 2013 And Immigration Stamped My Wife's Passport For Another Six Months (Visitor's Visa) In The Month That I Have Back In The UK My Original Family Have Contacted Me (Two Daughters) And Want To Rebuild Bridges With Me. I Now Want To Stay Here For Longer Than Six Months, Obviously With My New Wife. A Friend Suggested That If My Wife And I To Europe For Over 24 Hours, When We Returned Her Passport Would Be stamped For A Further Six Months. I Am 67 & My Wife Is 55 We Have No Intention Of Breaking Any Laws At Our Age.The Ideal Situation For Us Would Be To Live Here Permantly. Please Help With Some Advice If You Are Able To. Geoff & Evie
Hi, thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my service so I am credited for my time.

Would you be willing to undertake employment for 4-6 months in a European country? and live there with you wife for that duration? somewhere like Ireland?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No!!! I Need To Stay In England. The Question I Want Answered Is, If My Wife & I Go To (For Example France) For A Visit., But Stay For More Than 24 Hrs. When My Wife Returns With Me Will Immigration (For Example Dover) Stamp Her Passport (Brasilian) For A Further 6 Months Or Not???

Thank you for your reply.

What the immigration officer will look at and see is if your wife is using the 6 months visa as a defacto settlement visa, he may ask her questions accordingly. They will query why she has arrived back to the UK so soon, it will dependent on how you answer those questions.

If they are happy with your answers then they will issue her with a 6 months visa.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm Sorry, I Don't Understand 'Defacto Settlement Visa' We Will Probably Visit Paris For The Weekend See The Sights And Return To The Uk, Where I Assume Immigration Will Stamp Her Passport-Would The Visa Run From The Date Of Return From France-Or Continue From The Date We Arrived From Brasil In Early November. It Would Be Excellent If For Example We Travelled To France In Shall We Say April 2014 And The Visa Then Gave Us An Extra Six Months Until October 2014

Thank you for your reply.

What i mean by defacto settlement visa is that although she is able to visit the UK for 6 months at a time, if she then is in the UK longer than she is in brazil the home office may think she is abusing the visa and remaining in the UK. That is why they may ask her questions as to why she is returning to the UK so soon after leaving ie 24 hours

In respect of length of visa, if she leave the UK for 24 hours and then returns back to the UK she will be issued with another 6 months visa so if she leaves the UK in December 2013 her visa will be issued until july 2014 upon her return to the UK provided the immigration office allows her back in to the UK.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards