How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
This answer was rated:

I have stupidly claimed tax credits with someone living with

me,we wanted to see how... Show More
me,we wanted to see how we got on living together,today I received a letter from the tax credits stating that they knew he lived there,I've never broken the law and really don't know which way to turn,my mum has said she will pay back all that I owe but us it as simple as that as I will lose my job if I'm prosecuted
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this please?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I need help to my question above
Yes, so how can I help ?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
I have stupidly claimed tax credits with someone living with me,I wanted to see how we got on living together and it's been very unstable resulting in him sleeping in another bedroom,I have never been in trouble with the law and could lose my job as the tax credits have sent me a letter saying they know he's living there,I've spoke to my mum who has said she will pay what I owe,will that stop them prosecuting me?
How much is the overpayment roughly?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
They haven't stated an amount,just asked why I didn't apply as a joint claim and want bank statements,council tax bill,utilities bills,mortgage statment

Okay thanks.

Let's try to work it out.

How long has he been staying and how much do you get in tax credits?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
He came in January ,they have been £535 a month upto 2 month ago then went to £638
Thank you.

On my very rough calculations, that is an average of about £550 for roughly 12 months.

Unfortunately, the overpayments is going to exceed the level at which councils will often just let people repay. Sometimes, even if a council takes the view that it can prove dishonesty they will just allow the offender to repay the overpayment. The amount varies but it's usually around £3000.

You seem to accept that he was living there and that you didn't report it so you cannot deny the offence.

It is worth making an offer of repayment. It might be that they would accept that.

Unfortunately though, it cannot be guaranteed because of the sum in question.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean they can still take me to court which will result in me almost certainly losing my job?
Yes, unfortunately they could.
Whether they will or not is another matter but the amount of overpayment exceeds the sum at which they would normally just allow repayment.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’