How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I lent a friend £4000 last year and despite asking both in

This answer was rated:

I lent a friend £4000 last year and despite asking both in writing and face to face I've not received any back. I also lent him a motorbike that he also promised to buy, and again as yet I've received no money ! What do I do please ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is he in work?

Does he have any assets?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is in work but has no assets other than a broken motorbike and the bike that is mine, he is recently divorced so am unsure if he has received monies from that.
Thank you.

You can always sue him at the Small Claims Court. This is a Small Claims Court sum and so it will be quick and cheap to issue. As long as you have his address you can do it online.

You can claim for the £4000 and the actual monetary value of the bike.

If you particularly want the bike to be returned then you would have to seek an injunction order to obtain that. I don't get the impression that is what you are saying and anyway it would be disproportionately expensive to do that. If you issue against him then he might well return the bike anyway.

You can claim here

However, you should really send him a letter before action giving him 14 days to pay in full and making clear that if he does not you will sue. He may well ignore that but it will protect you from a cost application if he does.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for that info, I am unsure of what his address is now as he doesn't live Where he said he did. After sending a letter to his parents for clarification of this I am none the wiser, instead I received a letter from them that was disjointed, accusatory and unhelpful, however they did say in the letter that he did visit there on occasions, would sending a letter to him via this address constitute as Harassment? Or is it ok to use as it's the only address I have ?
He probably will make allegations of harassment. They are becoming rather popular unfortunately.

You can use a tracing agent to locate him but you can't claim the fees back.

If his parents address is his last known address though then you can use that for service and for warning.

If that's all you do that however many tantrums they throw on the point will not assist them.
Jo C. and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’