How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hi I want to apply for citizenship in the uk. Let me talk

Customer Question

I want to apply for citizenship in the uk. Let me talk about the reason I am concerned that I will be refused. I am iraqi nationality, got married to British woman we applied in 2004 and then got refused, so I asked to stay where I am in Iraq ,Jorden,Syria and then Egypt, she got pregnant with a baby boy, in the end she couldn't stay away from home I mean London so we applied again in 2007 they refused and we appealed and got excepted I got my settlement visa 2 years I came to the uk on 23/06/2007 we got another baby girl in 2008, on the 9/08/2008 we had a fight I end up arrested and put in jale till the morning then on the 7/09/2008 got sentenced of 2 years probation had to go sign every week but after the sentence we went back to each other. Got my indefinite visa on the 23/ 06/2009 we lived to gather since then but things didn't work as my job wasn't good and made us away from each other so we separated in 2011 but we had no problem till today as friends. The marriage wasn't plan but it didn't work as we tried but dosent work sadly. So the only thing on my crb is the common assault which I got charge of on my file and the sentence of 2 years probation. I don't have any other thing only that common asault which I got sentenced my sentence for in 7/09/2008 tow years probation. Have no driving offences no anything else. I am full time employed pay for my rent don't claim any sort of benefit. I would like to apply for citizenship will that stop me getting it? Please kindly advise plus what is my next step and what should I do. Thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi Thank you for your question. The UKBA have recently changed the " good character " requirement and as long as you did not receive a custodial sentence then an offence for which you were convicted more than 3 years ago will not count against you . As long as you only got probation and not a suspended sentence then you are fine and should be able to apply for citizenship as long as you meet all the requirement and have passed the life in the UK test.
I am assuming you have been continuously resident here apart form holidays.

You will find everything you need to know about applying on the UKBA website:
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,