How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, me and my boyfriend bought car on finance but finance

This answer was rated:

Hello, me and my boyfriend bought car on finance but finance is on my name same as a car, problem is we need to renew a road tax and am not a driver . I'll have to put his name on and ill be left with finance . Things were't good between us and I've got kind a feeling he just used me and dont know what to do.Please can you help me what to do and how to protect myself.Many thanks

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Why did you take out the finance?

Isn't possible to sell the car under the finance agreement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He'has got mortgage so would not be able to get a finance.He wants to keep a car, he said he'll pay I just need to make sure he will.


Ultimately you take a leap of faith with this type of thing. Whatever he says, whatever he signs, he could still stop paying. If he does you will have a claim against him which you can pursue in the civil courts but I presume you would prefer not to have to do that.

In fairness, you are not responsible for his financial affairs. If he can't get finance then he has to do what the rest of us do and live without a car. All taking out finance in your name does is make you his creditor in circumstances where the finance companies have judged him too risky.

You can get him to agree that he is responsible in writing. It doesn't have to be a written contract. Emails or texts will be fine to evidence whats been agreed.

That still doesn't remove you from liability. Nothing can do that unless you sell the car and pay off the finance. It does better evidence your claim against him though if he stops paying.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For JO C, thank you for your help.Will it help if I get him write a letter, is it really some proof?

Yes, it will help but only to the extent that it evidences what been agreed.

If he has agred to pay for this in exchange for use of the car then you have a contract. Its not weaker because its verbal.

The problem is that you need to prove what was agreed. To be wholly honest, its not likely that a court would accept there wasn't an agreement anyway if he has the car and you are paying for it. Partners do give each other expensive gifts all the time but they don't usually take out finance for each other as a romantic gift.

Any written evidence to support that will be fine - emails, texts etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

For Jo C, am sorry I didnt reply, been to doctors.Thank you very much for your advice, you gave me at least little hope.

No problem.. All the best