UNSOLICITED EMAILS Hi, I have got a list of potential

I have got a list of potential business' that i would like to email to sell my services.

I obtained the list by searching through the yellow pages and entries from

I have been told that is illegal to email named people within these companies without their prior consent.

Could you tell me if this is correct? I was surprised as i regularly receive email that i have not contented to previously.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

There are actually specific laws that deal with email marketing, specifically The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003. These state that it is illegal to send unsolicited emails to individual subscribers, although it is possible to send them to corporate subscribers as long as there is a relevant working relationship in place. Violation of these rules can result in a fine. You may be receiving such unsolicited emails yourself but that does not mean it is allowed - many companies still ignore these rules, whether deliberately or unintentionally, however I would not suggest you join that list, or of you do - then do so at your own risk.

A very good practice note on these laws can be found here for further reading:

Ben Jones :

I see you are trying to exit chat - has your original query been answered or do you need me to clarify anything before I close this at my end?

Hi Ben,

You have answered my question

Ben Jones :

ok great, all the best