How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

hi, my husband of 16 years is guilty of a offence - inappropriate

This answer was rated:

hi, my husband of 16 years is guilty of a sex offence - inappropriate touching of one of his daughters. This occurred 30 odd years ago in his first marriage (he was widowed when I met him). However, she reported it to the police only recently. I was gobsmacked to get to know this. He is going to plead guilty now after denying it at police station. However, I do not want to be linked to a sex offender who will have to be registered in the sex offenders register. Apparently all his accounts including joint will have to be disclosed when he registers. I do not see any future with him anymore. I have got to have psychologist treatment due to my shock. Can you give me any advice while I haven't managed to get on with divorce yet? Many thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What would you like to know about your position?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How I can be affected by this by disclosing information of joint accounts.


What is the effect on my reputation overall.


I have told him to leave the house and he left and he is in our holiday home in Portugal. He has agreed to pass on to me the ownership of he flat. We were joint tenants. I do not want this address linked to a sex offender.

When do you intend to start divorce proceedings?
What UK address will he give?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hope he does not give any UK address any more. For 4 months I thought he was innocent until he confessed. I then told him to leave.I am going to ask him to tell solicitor he moved to Portugal and give Portuguese address as his fixed address.


I intend to start divorce proceedings in the new year.

However shocking this has been you have no need to be concerned about your position - it will not effect your overall reputation and you are not in any way guilty by association.
Clearly you have grounds for a divorce based on Unreasonable Behaviour - the financial issues are of course a separate matter - but in terms of the outside world you have done nothing wrong save chosen the wrong partner - in which you are not unique.
I am not sure if this addresses your actual question - so please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am concerned about having to disclose joint accounts to the police as he registers on the sex offenders register. Possibly wont have enough time to separate the accounts.


Is it possible to have a civil action against him as he failed to disclose vital information about himself when we got married? I married him totally unaware of this sex offence fact.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I asked another question and did not receive an answer
My apologies for the delay
I am afraid that there is no action that you can take against him other than Divorce Proceedings.
Please do not worry about the accounts - there is no relevance in them when it comes to the Register - it is just that the details have to be given as part of the ID process.
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you