How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I bought my house in the right to buy scheme in July. My daughter

Customer Question

I bought my house in the right to buy scheme in July. My daughter of 19 lived with me, I spent a lot of time at my boyfriends house and charged my daughter board for living in my house. She moved her boyfriend in so I asked him to pay board as well. It then transpired a few months later he was drug dealing and the house got raided. I kicked them both out and had the locks changed. The have now approached the council saying I charged them rent illegally and kicked them out illegally ! The council have now said they want to interview me under caution. Am I liable for something? I am a nurse in the local hospital and I worried that not only they will try and take my house off me but I will lose my job. They only had use of one bedroom, shared bathroom, kitchen and lounge.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I assume they were only lodging though?

Alex Watts :

Did they just occupy one room please?

JACUSTOMER-g5a7o40m- : Hello, yes just lodging and paying board. They had one bedroom the other bedroom is mine and I came and went as I pleased. They shared the bathroom with me and the kitchen. I stayed away whilst a new kitchen was put in as we were installing the kitchen ourselves between shifts this took almost six weeks. They didn't mind staying but with work commitments I didn't want to stay whilst the kitchen was taken apart
Alex Watts : This is not an unlawful eviction. If they just rented a room and did not have exclusive access to the whole property then they are judge lodgers.
Alex Watts : Therefore you did nothing illegal.
Alex Watts : If they occupied the whole house exclusively and you changed the locks then this is u lawful. In this case you would need a court order to evict.
Alex Watts : But without exclusive acces
Alex Watts : access then you can terminate it at any time.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?