How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

hi there. I have a legal question. I rent a flat. A few months

Customer Question

hi there.
I have a legal question. I rent a flat. A few months ago someone carrying out an inspection noticed an issue with damp in the bathroom. the landlord dithered, the problem worsened so the work has to be carried out this week. It means no shower for about 2 days. they have also decided to paint the bathroom. I really don't want to be here when they paint it as there is no windows or fan in the bathroom. I have asked them to delay the painting but they are unwilling to do this as it would add to the cost. I wanted them to put me up in reasonable (ie not the ritz) accommodation for 2 day while they did all this and they refused. Legally am I entitled to any compensation?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What type of agreement do you have? Have they offered to provide you with any alternative accomodation or just refused please?

JACUSTOMER-n74itlgm- :


JACUSTOMER-n74itlgm- :

we have a fairly standard rental agreement. I asked for them to put us up somewhere but they refused

Alex Watts : If the property is not suitable for habitation then you can move out for the two days to a bed and breakfast and ask the Landlord to pay. He should not be doing works unless it is an emergency whilst you are staying there.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy. If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court. The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less, which I assume it will be, it will be a small claim and you will not need representation. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,