How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

Hello I have purchased a site which has planning for demolition

Customer Question


I have purchased a site which has planning for demolition and there are 2 permissions for construction. I am in the process of submitting a third planning application but in any case would like to crack on with the demolition.

Currently there is a planning application which is for the demolition of the current barns and farm buildings on the site. This is
11/0082/CAC (Oxford City Council) Condition 4 of this states :-

4. The building(s) shall not be demolished before planning permission for redevelopment is granted and a legally binding contract for the carrying out of the works of redevelopment of the site is made and evidence of the contract has been produced and agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority, or in the absence of such a contract an alternative confirmation of commencement of the development as been submitted to and agreed in writing by the LPA.

We are likely to self build the house - my husband is a builder and is registered with the NHBC etc.

My question is in the absence of a contract with a builder what assurance can we/ should we give them?

Many thanks

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Why don't you have a guarantee please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Jo


What sort of guarantee are you referring to?


we don't want to enter into a contract with a builder as we are going to do the work ourselves.


I am not sure I understand what type of guarantee you are talking about. If you could provide more information that would be great

Expert:  Jo C. replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I see what you mean.

The concern of the planning authority is to make sure that there is no possibility that the site will be left empty for a period of time.

That is why they want evidence of a contract. Obviously, if you are doing self build, you cannot do that and therefore you have to rely on the last part, which starts ", or in the absence of etc...".

For that reason, you have to get the planning department to agree to what you are proposing.

If you have detailed planning permission with all aspects of construction covered. estimates and list of materials for everything required and a list of your husband's qualifications that you could submit then the planning permission element is self-explanatory.

You can agree an extra planning condition that the new build works will be started by a particular date.

You also need I think to give them estimates for all the materials and copies of contracts for the electrical work which needs to be done by a registered electrician and the gas work which needs to be done by a registered gas fitter. I would also give them estimates for any other work which your husband will not be doing himself. I think you also need to give a list of your husband's qualifications and experience and a portfolio of his previous work.

All you need to do is convince the planning authority that you do intend to start this work as soon as the demolition has been finished.

Ultimately, the decision as to whether they agree for you to demolish now rests with the planning authority

Can I clarify anything for you?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,