How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

scottish power has over charged me by thousands of pounds through

clerical error.I have written to... Show More
clerical error.I have written to them 4 times, they do not reply to the problem. they just send me a letter of threats from a debt collecting service. They said they will destroy my credit rating, cut off my power, add more money to the bill. question what can i do.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Show Less
Ask Your Own Law Question
Jo C., Barrister
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Are they still your providers?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Hello Jo yes they are still my providers

Jo C., Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Are you in default with them?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I was paying them direct debit £45 per month but i stopped it sept they were going to increase it to £272 pm

Jo C., Barrister replied 4 years ago.
okay thanks.

How do you know but they are overcharging?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

between dates 25/06/13 to 14/10/13 my use of electricity was £2069.95. this is a 2 bedroom flat with 1 occupant and i am a long distance driver an this is our busiest time of year. I have had 4 account nos 4 different names an i kept the meter readings since i moved in here 16/07/2012. when i check their estimates in the same period of time they are out by hundreds. ie 25/10/2013 my reading 16871 estimate 17424

13/11/13 MR 16929 est 17647 my total 58 theirs 223

Jo C., Barrister replied 4 years ago.

It a matter for you how you approach this but there are two options.

The first is to pay and sue. That is probably the less attractive option to you but at least it would stop them trying to cut you off and damaging your credit rating with Experian.

The second is to refuse to pay and defend any action. If they seek to cut you off or add a prepaid meter then they will need a warrant and the fact that you don't owe the money is a defence. Obviously that does depend on their calculations being wrong though.

What they will do though is add a default to your credit account. You can lodge a notice of dispute but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you that the chances of getting it removed are high. It might not matter. It depends whether you intend borrowing money in the next six years.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience: Moderator
replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,