How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I am still living with my husband but he will not give me any

Customer Question

I am still living with my husband but he will not give me any money. What rights do I have in making him give me some money and how much ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you been married and are there any children involved?
What income do you each have?
Who is paying the household deeds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have been married for 28 years and are children are all indipendent. He earns £400.00 per week and I get a small payment called mobility payment of £300.05 per month and I can not work due to ill health.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Who pays the household bills?
Are you willing to start divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My husband pays the household bills and I have considered divorcing him.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
What money do you need?
Does he give you money for food?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he pays for food but there is friction about this e.g how much money it costs and how much I can eat e.t.c. He is more and more controllng and there are other problems but I want to be independent.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Then I am afraid that unless you issue Divorce Proceedings and make a claim for spouse maintenance there is no other action you can take to force him to give you money each month
The fact that he does keep you short of money does represent Unreasonable Behaviour.
Once you are living separately how much he has to pay you will be dependent on your income from all sources and your needs.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,