How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

I have a vehicle registed sorn parked in an unmarked parking

Customer Question

I have a vehicle registed sorn parked in an unmarked parking bay outside my residence on a council estate. Am i breaking the law as i have been clamped by dvla saying i'm on a public highway. Also would i be breaking the law if i remove the clamp intact without damage.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 4 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I assume you do not own the bay as it is a council road please?
JACUSTOMER-iivti4sx- :

some years ago can't remember when these bays were added to the drive for the ease of access for emergency vehicles.

JACUSTOMER-iivti4sx- :

These bays use to be grass verges

Alex Watts : Thank you. I am sorry to say that unless it is on your land then it is a public area and highway and you need car tax.
Alex Watts : If you had a house with a drive, anything beyond the driveway would be a public highway.
Alex Watts : Therefore what the dvla say is correct.
Alex Watts : If you are parked in a bay it is a public highway.
Alex Watts : If you remove the clamp then you could be charged with criminal damage.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’. Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,